Friday, April 15, 2011

Thank you IKEA

You already know from our previous post how much we enjoy products from Denmark. We are danskophiles. Sweden also produces many favorites. I think we could easily be considered svenskophiles too. While living there during a long summer internship back in 1997 my husband and I gained an appreciation for IKEA. We were thrilled when the company expanded to the U.S. Now every time we visit one of their stores it's like making a quick trip to Sweden, but without the expensive airplane ticket.

Sadly our closest IKEA is 2.5hrs away, so anytime we are near one we stock up on favorite food items from the market. During our last visit to Scandinavia we found a soda that we really liked, that I have yet to find in the states, which contained elderflower. Luckily IKEA sells Elderflower Saft, a simple concentrated syrup:

 Since I recently posted about grapefruit I remembered that the soda we liked had grapefruit and elderflower in it. It has such a unique taste, but I really like it. Knowing IKEA had the main ingredient I thought I'd grab a bottle and start playing around with ratios to see if I could come up with the right combination.

Elderflower-Grapefruit Spritzer
Serves 2
3 T grapefruit juice
1/3 C Elderflower Syrup
1 C Pellegrino or club soda

Adjust amounts to desired taste and serve over ice.
It is quite refreshing, and again, it has a very unique flavor, unlike anything we usually find in the States.
Now I just need to think of a catchy name for it...

No comments: